Saturday, March 3, 2012

This is hard...

I meant to get back to this much sooner than now, but it has been a rough couple of weeks.  Sorry about that.

My second time going to dialysis was fairly horrible.  Again I had to go to the hospital for my treatment as they had still not set me up at my local clinic.  Having already done this once, and knowing that the nurses had some problems sticking my fistula because it was new I had a feeling things wouldn't be exactly simple.  I had no idea just how bad it would get though...

On my second day, all my nurses were different than the first time, so none of them were familiar with my arm.  My first nurse tried sticking me and, while the arterial needle went in fairly easily (remember that arterial blood is the dirty blood that is flowing away from your heart, and it is also in the larger of the 2 blood 'highways'), by the time he had tried the venous line, I had clotted off the arterial line.

Oh yeah, that's another problem that I have.  My blood clots almost immediately.  While that is a good thing in just about every way possible, it is a really bad thing for dialysis.  Well, ok, more accurately, it is a bad thing for going onboard with dialysis.  Coming off the machine it is awesome.  I'll get to that in a bit...

Anyway, so both needles had to be removed and another nurse called in to try to get the needles in.  All of this is painful by the way.  I'm not going to lie to you or sugar coat it.  These are 16 gauge needles, and while they are small in terms of dialysis, they are NOT small in terms of reality.  lol  I did a lot of reading and research over the years regarding my disease and everything that goes with it.  Therefore, when the time came, I knew enough to ask them to numb the injection sites first.  NOTE: They will generally NOT offer to do this for you.  YOU NEED TO ASK FOR THE NUMBING MEDICINE.  As time goes on and your fistula becomes more mature, it gets easier (so they tell me), but starting out, don't be afraid to be a complete wimp!  Ask for numbing medicine each and every time they stick you.

It took over an hour to get the needles in this time.  In the end I was sobbing uncontrollably, my arm was starting to swell, I had 3 or 4 nurses all focused on just me and my stupid arm, and everyone felt horrible.  Finally they got me onboard though and my treatment began.  Everything went fairly well after the initial trauma and my nurse Joe was a great guy who really took time to explain things to me and share his own stories.  Joe, as it turns out, is a Vietnam Vet, Author, and has a PhD in BioChemistry.  He actually built one of the labs there at the hospital, and has developed some sort of life saving piece of equipment for our troops in the field.  Then the money ran out.  The hospital decided to drop Joe's funding for his lab and they downsized his position entirely so he took a job as a dialysis nurse.  Joe is also a 7 year survivor of colon cancer.  Oh, and he is a musician who actually had a song in the top 25 decades ago.  :)  Needless to say, he really helped the time go by quickly.

When I had less than 30 minutes to go in my treatment however, the alarms on my machine started going a little nuts.  Now, alarms are very common while you're onboard.  There are alarms for everything.  An alarm sounds before the blood pressure cuff takes your pressure, alarms for when the various chemicals need to be changed, alarms if your blood flow is too slow or too fast, etc etc etc...  It can be a very noisy, beeping, chaotic place in the dialysis unit.  In my case, my alarm kept going off because, as Joe discovered, I had clotted off the machine.  Remember, I clot really easily...  They give you Heparin in your line until about the last hour of dialysis.  The Heparin helps to keep you from clotting off, but they stop it an hour or so before taking you off so that once they pull the needles you will clot off.  I my case, 30 minutes after they stopped the Heparin drip, my blood said, "ENOUGH!"

On the one hand it was awesome because I got to come off the machine a good 20 minutes sooner than I was supposed to, but on the other hand, it was a bad thing because I came off the machine 20 minutes sooner than I was supposed to...  I need to stay onboard to get my blood clean, but I hate being onboard.  lol  Catch 22.

Joe pulled the needles and I literally didn't even have a single drop of blood on the bandage.  THAT is not commonplace.  You should expect to bleed.  You should expect to have to hold pressure on your arm for a good 5 to 10 minutes after the needles are removed.  In most every other person out there, bleeding can be a real problem.  Remember that these needles are going directly into your artery and a huge vein.  In fact, for most people, they expect that if you don't immediately apply pressure, you will spurt blood across the room in time with the beating of your heart...  makes sense if you think about it.  (Also kind of gross if you think too long about it.)

This 2nd time had been on a Friday (A week ago yesterday actually), and I had to come back the following morning to run again.  At this point we were still trying to find my dry weight and get rid of the over 25 pounds of extra fluid that had built up in my body, so running me 2 days in a row is no big deal.

I came back in the next morning and Joe was on duty again!  Yay for small blessings!  Joe told me immediately that he wasn't even going to try to stick me that day.  Instead, he actually called another nurse who was working in ICU to come down specifically to stick my arm.  This guy took a long time to really examine my arm and listen and feel around before sticking me.  He got the needles in on the first try and the rest of that session was fairly uneventful.  That is until....

CRAMPING!!!

Holy crap!  I had read that when they get to your dry weight, (the weight you are without any excess fluid at all in your system) that you would experience cramping, nausea, and other assorted horrors.  They tell you that, but nothing, and I mean nothing, actually prepares you for it.

When I got to about 30 minutes left in my 3rd treatment, my left foot started to cramp up.  I'm not stranger to foot cramps, but generally I get them when my feet are cold.  This time my feet were toasty warm, but the feeling was unmistakable.  I tried stretching and moving, the things I normally do when I get my foot cramps, but nothing worked.  I started to say something to Joe, and then, without any sort of warning at all, my entire left leg seized up.  It was excruciating!  Think about the worse charlie horse you've ever had... ok, now multiply that my 10 or more.  Before I could recover enough to start to form words, my right foot, quickly followed by my right leg also began cramping.

I was literally lying there in the bed writhing in pain and even though I tried to be brave, the pain won out and I became that person that you never want to be... the one moaning in pain and begging for them to do something to make it stop.

Joe came over and with the push of a few buttons, stopped pulling fluid and started putting some saline back in.  The cramping subsided within 3 minutes of him doing that.  He also said, "Looks like we found your dry weight".  lol  Thanks Joe.  I needed you to tell me that.  =P

I came off the machine and went home, none the worse for wear.

My next experience was different...  and it requires it's own entry.

10 comments:

  1. Found your journal. I'm sorry to hear you've hit the point where you have to do dialysis.

    Have you considered Home Hemo Nocturnal dialysis?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial goal was definitely to do Home Hemo. However, my current situation does not allow for that. Home Hemo is still my eventual goal, but at this point if the trained professionals can't find my fistula to stick it properly, there's no way I can do it. :(

      Delete
    2. Couple of thoughts...

      First, I'm sorry to hear your fistula is being a prickly bitch. We thought my husbands would be bad as well, and that he was going to have to have a further surgery to 'lift' it, but it doesn't appear to be the case, as we've begun training and it's working like a dream. (Well, until we infiltrated, but that's a whole other thing.)

      I'm not sure WHY they aren't giving you Heparin. (This is from todays posts, sorry, I'm lumping.) We do EVERY single treatment. They also did at his dialysis center while we were waiting for his PD tube to mature so we could switch to PD at home. I'd get VERY vocal about this, if I were you. There's NO reason for you to be having so much trouble with clotting, and it just can't be good for your mental health.

      But my biggest bit of advice is this: If they try to encourage you to go the route of PD, don't. Just, don't. I know you struggle with weight (I know it's about the kidneys) and PD gives you a whack ton of calories without ever eating at all. I also can't imagine it would feel good in your cavity with your beans currently hogging all the space. Selfish buggers.

      Because I'm not knowledgable about PKD, how come they don't just take the damn things out of you have reached dialysis phase?

      Delete
    3. I actually am not even a candidate for PD (Peritoneal Dialysis for those that just got lost... hehe) because my kidneys are so large that there is simply no room for the organs and things that have to be there, let alone any room for the PD. :-/ Although, that being said, I knew from the moment I read about PD the first time that I would never, ever want to go that route. I just can't even imagine having to do that every day. bleh.

      As for why they don't remove the PKD kidneys, at this point, mine are still operating at about 10%, but even after they completely die and I cease making any urine at all, they don't want to take them out because of the dangers involved in that surgery.

      I'm going to fight them on that though. If I can qualify for the transplant list, I'm going to campaign like crazy to get these damn things out of me.

      My Brother just had his first kidney 'piggy-backed' into his system, leaving his PKD kidneys in there. After his first transplant failed, they did take one of his PKDs out to make room for his second transplant though.

      For now it's just a matter of grinning and bearing it unfortunately. I'm terrified about tomorrow because I absolutely have to dialyze at this point. I can really feel the extra fluid now. Tomorrow it will be 7 days since my last session, and I really don't dare wait any longer. My arm however is still so tender I can't even touch it. Ugh.

      Delete
    4. No, 7 days is a long time. I'm surprised they haven't just done an IJ Cath (sucks donkey balls, by the way). At 10%, and with no dialysis for a week, you have to be feeling like a huge pile of crap right about now.

      I certainly don't have all the answers, but I can tell you that checking into home hemo is worthwhile. If they can lift your fistula to make it more accessible, they can also create buttonholes for you which will allow you to switch to blunt needles.

      We are headed for nocturnal, which will allow us to do long, slow hemo. (Read up on it versus in center or short daily. It's soooo much better on your body, your fistula, and your heart. And ya get Heparin. )

      PD wasn't an awful modality, and it allowed us a TON of freedom. But, if you struggle with weight or diabetes (my husband struggles with both) it's just not a good method. We actually just came back from our first cruise with our PD cycler. :)

      I wish you luck. First hitting dialysis is a horrible moment, and it's a struggle in the beginning. My husband wasn't sure he could continue with in center dialysis. Thankfully, we've been at home with dialysis since April of 11, and are headed for hemo now. :)

      Have you seen www.ihatedialysis.com ? It's worth popping in. Great place.

      Delete
    5. Yep, Home Hemo is definitely the goal, but for now it just isn't an option. Hopefully within a year though. :)

      I'm glad to know your Hubby is doing well! Hearing positive stories is very important for those of us that aren't having such a great time. Hopefully soon I will have more good things to talk about than bad.

      I love that website btw. hehe :)

      Delete
  2. Your husband was so very worried about you and I think it was this day. May I say I am so happy you met. He is such an old soul and truly so in love with you. People could take classes from this dude

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan is my rock to be sure. Sometimes I think he worries too much, but it's hard for him to accept the fact that sometimes there really is nothing he can do to make it better. :-/ Sometimes it just sucks and there's nothing that anyone can do.

    As time goes on it will get better... at least that's what everyone at the Clinic keeps telling me. /sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peritoneal_dialysis

    This link explains what PD is in fairly simple terms. It's definitely not something that everyone can handle doing and I'm not ashamed to admit that even if I could do it, I don't have any desire to go through all of that. I would rather deal with what I'm going through...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah. http://failedbeans.blogspot.com/

    We infiltrated today, so I wouldn't say it's going so swimmingly -today-. But it's definitely on it's way.

    ReplyDelete